Commonwealth Game

This morning I want to talk about the best event held in the second biggest city in the UK – Birmingham. The event let commonwealth countries meet in a range of sport matches like cricket, hockey, rugby, soft ball, tennis etc. As far as I’m concerned, the game is held every four years. As Indonesian, I never saw my own country which is non-commonwealth country, participating.

uob, university of birmingham, student
Synthetic football court at University of Birmingham, UK.

I’m lucky having the university I go to hosting several games in its own facilities. I see with my own eyes the preparation. I can witness in week-to-week basis how the dedicated workers set up several student facilities into the world’s class sport infrastructures. In the university, the workers set up a formerly tennis court into fully lighted and seated hockey stadium. I couldn’t manage to count how much pound has spent to support this project, but I’m sure it’s not cheap.

 The commonwealth game will be started on 28th July and ended by a closing ceremony held on 8th August. Politicians will attend the event. I’m sure security officers will have a busy day when well-known politicians in the location. Apart from the security guards, technical workers such as cleaning services will also have equal busy time. During the game, many bus routes are closed or diverted. Due to this measures, I advise people to mind their trip plan before, during and a week after the Common Wealth Game (CWG). 

In the next writing, perhaps I will talk about my participation in the game. Don’t imagine I participate as an athlete. It’s absolutely impossible due to obvious reason (I’m not an athlete, I’m not the holder passport of commonwealth country). I contribute my time and energy in the game by joining the cleaning services team. I’m keen to share my experience applying and doing the job. But unfortunately, I can’t share it right now. Wait for my next writing. 

Thank you.

Birmingham, July 14, 2022     


Comments